Tuesday, February 2, 2010

BREATHE

Sometimes I find myself ending up with every minute of my day scheduled or mapped out. I don't really like to live this way, but it's ok sometimes I guess. As soon as it becomes routine though (perhaps several days in a row) it seems to really take a toll on my mental state. I feel very burdened. I often write things down in my agenda so I don't forget them, but then I kinda get the checklist mentality (that attitude where I'm just going through the day checking everything I 'have' to do off my list and not really being thorough and present and actually enjoying life).

Thankfully, one of my professors has introduced us to the concept of doing breathing exercises at the beginning of every class. We just kinda sit there for a minute or two and take deep breaths to relax. Yeah, it was pretty awkward the first day, but now everyone's used to it and it's definitely something I have come to appreciate. Maybe I've had a crazy/busy day and my body hasn't necessarily been goin non-stop, but my mind definitley has been >>> then this practice of taking a minute to breathe deep actually affects me and provides an opportunity to be at peace. Not that peace can't be had in the midst of busyness or that I thoroughly enjoy doing nothing for extended periods of time, but that this short time of peace very much refreshes me.

Maybe it all sounds weird or lame or whatever else, but it's truly been a cool thing that I hope to incorporate more into my life. I'll have to be more careful to guard against laziness too. Very thankful to have a working mind, but rest is good. Brief periods of time spent not thinking about anything. Breathing deep. Giving my mind a break throughout the day. Not sure about everyone else, but it's been good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment