My friend told me that there are absolutes, convictions, and preferences. He warned me to be careful about what I thought to be absolute. "The longer I've lived the more things I've found to not be absolute," he said. Though he believed that there are certainly some things that are absolute and non-negotiable, he explained how there are many seasons in life and how our beliefs, convictions, and preferences may change over time as we learn and experience more. The yogurt will be a reminder to me. Just because I thought it was the best way to eat it at the time doesn't mean that it will always be the best way for me or for everybody. Or worship. Just because I worship God a certain way now and really connect with Him doesn't mean that it will always be THE way that I connect with God or THE way that others have to do it to connect with Him. I have to be careful that I don't believe something like a certain style of worship is an absolute. That probably would be putting God in a box and unrealistic/potentially damaging expectations on myself and others.

No comments:
Post a Comment