Wednesday, June 5, 2013
John 6:53 – “Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you.”
I am not inclined to believe that somebody else made these words up, hoping that people would believe Jesus said them and that they would fit with who He is. I believe the person Jesus actually spoke these words. Too many people didn’t understand them, didn’t want to hear them, took offense at them, and stopped following Him because of them for these words to be contrived by someone else. There’s nothing about the passage that leads me to think Jesus Himself didn’t say these words. The question becomes whether or not these words are true and what they really mean. If Jesus said these words and they aren’t true then I am probably justified to think He’s a little bit crazy, whether or not He’s a good person or teacher, and I can feel comfortable ceasing to follow Him or give Him attention. But if these words certainly spoken by Jesus Himself – if they are true – then that changes everything. It no longer has anything to do with who He is as a good person or a wise teacher, or even a martyr, but who He is as God and the giver of true life, even eternal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment