Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dating?!?!

Was very blessed by a friend who sent me a book: "I Kissed Dating Goodbye." (apparently it was a pretty big deal 10 years ago or so). I had never heard of it, but I had the opportunity to read it last week. Some people think the book is phenomenal. Others think it to be too radical and that it makes dogmatic/absolute claims about dating. What it presents is a radical concept for sure, but I think the principles the book discusses are things that everyone could benefit from. Essentially the principles include: a commitment to purity, enjoying the gift that is singleness (however long that lasts), and going about dating in a way that pleases God and doesn't damage us.

The book makes a distinction between dating and courting. It seems important that we not get caught up in whether we title our relationships 'dating' or 'courting' but that we would be more concerned with the content of our relationships. Guarding our hearts must be an absolute priority because it's so easy to give away emotional and physical pieces of ourselves during (typical) dating that we may end up with little left when it's our time to marry. It's hard to be patient, (some have certainly waited much longer than others to marry), but I very much believe that if we allow God's plans for us to unfold, not trying to rush into the next season of life, that when our time comes it will be all the more richer and full. These are some of the things the book discusses.

I think the reason I enjoyed this book so much is because I could relate very specifically to it and because the gift of marriage relationships between God's people is something I love to learn about and discuss. My rebellious spirit is not usually a fan of endorsing mainstream books and such, but I would totally recommend flipping through this one (at least).

Psalm 37 encouraged me when thinking about waiting, dating, and marriage. Feeding on God's faithfulness. Delighting ourselves in the Lord and He will give us the desires and secret petitions of our heart. Committing our way to the Lord and He will bring it to pass. Being still. Resting in the Lord. Waiting for Him and patiently leaning ourselves on Him. Expecting the Lord and keeping His way. What a King.

No comments:

Post a Comment