Monday, June 8, 2009

So Simple?

“live simply so others can simply live”

That’s what my friend quoted to me a few weeks ago. What does that even mean? Well, I don’t know, but it’s been weighin heavy on my heart, that’s for sure! Mondo convicting.

I wonder how much money I’ve spent on pizza? 12 dollar trips to Bdubs once a week or more. Games bought, played for a week and then traded back in. Movies or entire seasons of TV shows that I’ve only watched once, or never. Some of these things are enjoyable, but they’re only a temporary fix. None of them provide lasting satisfaction. And in the case of food I usually don’t feel too great after because it’s usually unhealthy food (double whamster). Not that it’s wrong to enjoy these things sometimes (I think… ?), but the amount and how often I indulge in all these things is far too extravagant and beyond reasonable. Is it all worth it? I don’t think so, but it’s definitely hard to break free of it all.

Could all that this money is used for go instead to sharing a meal with a homeless person, buying someone else a gift or taking care of a friend’s need? Not that I fully do these things, but I imagine these kinds of things to be truly life-giving for all involved.

Am I scheduling my day to include excessive time for movies and games or am I leaving it open so that I can more readily say yes to my roommate when he asks for a ride to the car repair shop? Or yes to a last minute intramural volleyball game? Am I blocking someone from initiating an urgent or deep conversation if I’m completely immersed in a game or movie they would feel bad interrupting? Am I really too busy to talk to my parents on the phone when all they want is their son’s time? Why haven’t I done something with all the clothes I don’t wear?

Lots of seemingly simple questions that don’t all have simple answers I think. It’s a sacrifice to live simply so others can simply live (least it seems that way when I'm so used to having and doing more). But I imagine the overwhelming freedom that will be experienced when I really begin to live simply for Him. Seems that it would be giving up so much, but how much more will be gained?

No comments:

Post a Comment