How do I believe the truths of God, when on the surface they don’t seem to make any sense?
How do I believe that God allows me to make every decision for myself, even though he knows exactly what I’m going to choose? That Christ’s words were not fabricated by man? How do I believe the seemingly contradictory statement that if I accept and follow Him then I am a “freed slave” of Christ? How do I come to the belief that evolution is not opposed to religion, but perhaps a part of God’s plan for the development of creation? That God is with me when I hurt a friend, fail a test, or experience pain and loneliness? How do I believe I will go to heaven when no one has seen it?
There is no way to prove or gain absolute certainty on any of these things. There is “evidence” that supports both sides, but no argument can guarantee one or the other.
Trust.
Trusting God is the only solution. Without trust I am doomed to live a meaningless, confusing and worrying life. I don’t understand or trust everything about God or entrust everything of myself to Him, but I hope to do a lot more of both. When I try to trust the Lord about something that seems crazy or impossible to me, He begins to reveal the mystery that at first seemed so contradictory. And it’s not really an instantaneous clarity. Over time God shapes my views according to His true perspective (not my perspective or some scholar’s perspective or the world’s perspective, but His).
Trusting is a lifelong battle, but without trust I’m plagued by uncertainty, anxiety and wonderment. What good does that do? Sometimes things just don’t make sense, but “following Christ is not a life of reason and understanding. It’s a life or faith and trust” (O. Chambers).
Monday, June 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment